Photography and Money

Photography and Money:
Photography can be expensive.   I love my Nikon 70-200 2.8 lens but I am not fond of hauling it unless I am very serious and have a specific purpose and shot in mind that I know will require it.    That said, many times you can actually get some really good work done with a high end point and shoot camera if the shutter lag doesn’t drive you bonzo!  Some of these point and shoot cameras even do OK for macro work and in some cases their movie mode is great.   You don’t need to spend a million bucks on cameras and lenses and tripods and ball heads and filters and a mule or assistant to carry it all.    Whatever the camera you are willing to carry or use that day is your best camera.  If it’s $15,000 of camera, lens(s) in a $350 bag sitting in the closet or the trunk of your car it is not much good at that moment.  If it’s an iPhone or a point and shoot and you have it with you, on you, in your hands, turned on, and in front your eyes,  it’s the best camera you own.  $500 or $25,000 or $1,000,000.   A lot of times less equipment = more photographs.  You will find your own daily and changing balance of how much equipment you are willing to carry.  I think my point is that you should always have some kind of camera unless you just want to enjoy the moment without the technology in your face.    I think Louis Black said that … photography is for people with a bad memory.  Or maybe it was. . .  photography is for people with Alzheimer’s.  I can’t remember which.
The milion dollar photograph
The Million Dollar Photograph

Comments